Roo's Casa

C. Diff 2011
May 11, 2011, 12:40 am
Filed under: Health

My seven-year-old son was diagnosed with c. diff at the beginning of March.  He had been on a 30 day course of the antibiotic Keflex after having surgery on his hip.  The infectious disease team at the hospital made it seem like c. diff wouldn’t be a big deal and that Flagyl would clear it up.  The first time he was on Flagyl he threw up every day and didn’t get the full 10 day course in.  Next, he was prescribed a lower dose of Flagyl from the pediatrician and that didn’t help either.  He still threw up and had no improvement in his BMs.  While this was going on, he was waiting to get in with a GI doctor.  The wait list for the best GI doctor was 6 weeks and so we decided to go with the first appointment we could get.  Finally, 3 weeks later he had an appointment with the GI doctor and was prescribed Vancocin.  We were very hopeful for this medication since it seems to work for a lot of people.  The type of Vancocin that was prescribed is in a capsule so we have to open it and then dissolve it in 98 degree water. It is a pain and sometimes hard to dissolve it.  So now my son is on his 8th day of Vancocin and still experiencing diarrhea.  I called the GI doctor and told him about this. We were advised to cut out dairy, juice and sugar.  My son has been having a lot of all three of those things since he needs the juice added to the Vancocin and then has eaten a lot of dairy to get his weight up.  I hope to report a success story so that others can be helped through this awful journey.

Probiotics we have tried:

During Keflex he drank the DanActive yogurts with 10 billion bacteria in them

During the Flagyl second time around he was on Inner Eco Coconut Kefir (many tablespoons through out the day), he started Florastor which has helped a lot with the frequency, Primadophilus

During Vancocin he has been on the Inner Eco, Florastor, sometimes Primadophilus, was on Yo Baby yogurt and the DanActive (had to stop due to doctor’s orders of no dairy), and just started Culturelle yesterday

I am finding that when he cuts back on the probiotics that the frequency goes up, so he takes quite a bit of probiotics during the day.

Cleaning: I clean the bathroom with 9 parts water to 1 part bleach and you must let the solution sit on the surfaces for 15 minutes.  I was just reading about how the bathtub can have c diff spores and you can reinfect yourself in there, so tomorrow I will be buying a spray bottle to clean that with bleach as well.  I am just not excited about the idea of my son sitting in a bathtub cleaned with bleach so he may need to take showers.  I also clean all of the things touched like doorknobs, light switches, kitchen faucet, and computer mouse with the bleach solution.  My son is already very good about handwashing so that is easy.  For the laundry I wash all of the bathroom towels in hot water. I can’t do those in bleach since they are blue, but I have thought about buying white towels until he is healthy again.  I also did an empty load with bleach in the washing machine today so that it can kill any spores that may be in there. *Be careful not to mix vinegar with bleach.  I had to call poison control to ask about this today since we had used vinegar to clean the bathroom in the past.  Well, I had to rinse all of the surfaces that had been cleaned by vinegar before applying the bleach cleaner.  This also includes other household cleaners containing ammonia. The very helpful woman at poison control also mentioned that urine in the toilet also reacts to bleach, so be careful.

What I wish I had known…. I wish that the hospital would have warned us about this problem when my son was admitted.  Hand sanitizers don’t work and so I would have brought water and soap over to his bed to wash his hands before eating had I known about this awful bacteria.  I also think infectious disease should have told us to use specific types of probiotics while he was on the Keflex.  The GI doctor should also have been more thorough in telling us how to clean and what to eat or not eat.  I keep reading about sugar feeding the bad bacteria.  I would have been more mindful of what my son was eating while on the Vancocin.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: